Retail Manager & Buyer
Retail - Ski / Gift / Convenience
Full Time - Winter Seasonal
The Retail Manager & Buyer is responsible for the Ski Shop, Convenience Store, Gift Shop, Aquatic Retail and mobile merchandise stations at Peek ‘n Peak Resort including: revenue generation, product selection/quality /innovation, seasonal planning, merchandising, inventory, budget, vendor relations and development /training of staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Maintain detailed knowledge of industry trends, competitors, consumer preferences and demographics to anticipate demand and drive product, program and assortment planning.
- Establish and maintain a strong working relationship with industry vendors while negotiating to achieve goal of high profitability.
- Purchase goods, set prices, forecast inventory, schedule replenishment deliveries and maintain accurate records. Conduct periodic merchandise inventory counts and reconciliation.
- Collaborate with the corporate purchasing department for timely completion of retail invoices, bills, purchase orders and related paperwork.
- Maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of inventory and equipment, (2) ensure the security of monies, credit and financial transactions and (3) to minimize misuse and breakage of supplies to ensure that no re-usable goods are wasted.
- Communicate with Marketing Specialist, Director of Revenue, Snow Sports and Golf Operations Managers and Executive Director of Resort Operations to plan for and execute special events, sales promotions and increase guest satisfaction.
- Create training and development programs for retail associates to ensure superior customer service, complete guest satisfaction while driving revenue.
- Educate team members on current products, services, facilities and pricing. Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers.
- Initiate and implement marketing and up-selling techniques to promote retail and maximize profits. Merchandise retail floors to maximize sales per square foot and encourage suggestive selling.
- Assess guest satisfaction, resolve guest concerns and make improvements accordingly.
- Work with Human Resources on hiring processes for retail associates including application review, conducting interviews and completing paperwork.
- Create schedule, complete electronic time approval and monitor labor of retail associates.
- Manage associate performance by providing direct supervision, professional development opportunities, performance appraisals, recognition and corrective counseling.
- Ensure all department / resort / company policies, procedures and safety rules are followed at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong understanding of the sporting apparel industry, seasonal resort operations and vendor partnerships.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, leadership skills and professional demeanor necessary to work with resort guests, associates and industry professionals.
- Ability to understand concepts, practices, pre-established guidelines and procedures used by the company.
- Knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook and experience using Internet for web based research.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field required
- Minimum 3 years buying experience in a sports apparel centered environment (or the equivalent combination of education and experience) required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Periodic travel required as well as working nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Traverse or maneuver items up to 50 pounds.
- Constant moving about retail areas in multiple locations, often in inclement weather.
- Frequent handling of objects, reaching, maneuvering and continually positioning oneself to perform assigned tasks.
Peek 'n Peak Resort is NOW HIRING for the summer season – and there is no better place to WORK and PLAY!
Full/part time seasonal and year round positions are available, including: Food & Beverage, Golf, Grounds Maintenance, Hotel/Housekeeping, Pool, Spa Retail, Management and More!
The Resort provides employment opportunities for ages 14+ and these positions are identified as *Minor Friendly* on the website. Minors (under the age of 18) must have a valid New York State Work Permit; applications are available by contacting Human Resources.
Employees receive excellent discounts on recreational activities at Peek ‘n Peak Resort and dining at all Scott Enterprise owned properties!
Find your seasonal job (or lifetime career!) by scrolling down the page and clicking your preferred job title to submit an application online. The job opportunities listed on www.PKNPK.com are all currently available; unlisted positions are no longer available.
Depending on business need, the length of time for our hiring process may vary and we appreciate your patience. There are often multiple employment opportunities available and we are working diligently to find you the perfect fit. We appreciate your interest and invite you to check the website frequently for new employment opportunities!
Monday - Saturday 8am-5pm
Phone: (716) 355-4141 ext. 7312
Job Hotline: (716) 355-4141(716) 355-4141 ext. 7311