The Mountain Groomer/Snowmaker will operate heavy equipment to maintain optimum snow surface conditions for assigned hills during a designated shift.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Prepare and maintain snow surface conditions for guests of all ability levels.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of mountain terrain, weather, surface conditions and a variety of other constantly changing factors that impact safety of the riders.
- Perform constant visual inspections of resort features in accordance with operating policies and procedures. Report safety concerns or irregularities to management / supervisor immediately and record conditions through log books as required.
- Constantly use depth perception and reasoning skills to judge the depth of snow on the slopes and advise snowmakers when to move onto the next slope.
- Collaborate with Mountain Operations Manager and team members to ensure resort equipment and vehicles are performing optimally.
- Perform routine maintenance of grooming equipment including cleaning, lubrication, mileage checks and oil changes.
- Assist with snowmaking as required, including monitoring system for potential problems/hazards and reporting any issues to snowmakers and Mountain Operations Manager.
- Act as an Ambassador of Peek ‘n Peak Resort with extensive knowledge of the mountain, conditions of runs and events.
- Possess working knowledge of emergency procedures.
- All other duties assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrate skills required to safely operate heavy equipment and / or track machines.
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow oral / written instructions.
- Clear, concise and effective communication skills to gain cooperation of team members, guests and groups.
- Capacity to prioritize and multi-task in a busy environment, often in inclement weather.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision with a focus on safety.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School or GED equivalent required; vocational school training preferred.
- Broad base of mechanical/electrical knowledge and prior experience working with heavy equipment required.
- Intermediate or advanced snow making experience strongly preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Groomers must be at least 21 years of age or older; required to operate heavy equipment to maintain parks.
- Routine exposure to inclement weather, freezing conditions and outdoor elements (snow, sleet, rain etc.) for extended periods of time.
- Constant walking and / or riding through parks, including frequent standing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling or balancing.
- Manual dexterity – ability to move hand, hand together with arm and use both hands to quickly grasp or manipulate equipment. Ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the finger of one or both hands to grasp or manipulate small objects.
- Must regularly traverse or maneuver items between 50-100 pounds.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends and holidays required and willingness to flex up or down in scheduled work hours (based on business need).